Governance Modelling and Regulation in Nascent Technologies:
The Promise and Peril of Blockchain & Smart Contracts
The Vicarium Academy
Good to see that you, like so many others, take an interest in this “Brave New World” called Blockchain. Many use the terms ‘Blockchain’ and ‘Distributed Ledger’ interchangeably. Although Blockchains are a form of distributed ledger technology, not all distributed ledgers use a chain of blocks to provide a secure and valid distributed consensus.
However rather than focusing on semantics, we feel it is more important to demystify this technology, and make sure you do not only understand what it is, but also what it could and perhaps should do.
To do just that, we ensure that all our Masterclasses are given by industry experts, thought leaders, seasoned business professionals, academics, and most often a combination of the above. They all know from a practical and theoretical perspective what DLT is; its potential, and also its possible limitations, but above all make it visible and alive, more than just an advanced technological concept that is only available to the tech savvy.
Technologies come, technologies go. Whether a new technology sticks or not, is almost irrelevant; what truly matters is how they change our way of life, and impact every aspects of it. These effects can be social, economical, political, legal or a combination of all. After an introduction to Blockchain, we explore the business potential of this technology, touching upon certain governance considerations, as well as assessing its impact on the legal industry. Some of the topics and questions we address are:
1. Introduction to Blockchain.
2. Business and Blockchain; what’s so special?
3. How does the law see Blockchain and what are the legal implications of certain applications?
4. What is the role of a regulator and how do we govern such a technology?
5. What are ICOs, STOs, token swaps? What are the tax implications of cryptocurrencies?
6. What are the potential future applications of Blockchain and Smart Contracts?
7. Newest legal & business trends, use cases and examples from real life.
8. Where do we go from here? Interactive discussion.
What we Offer
Our Masterclasses are given to university students, as well as industry professionals who want to learn about the latest legal and business trends when it comes to DLT, Blockchain and Smart Contracts, as well as related technologies and issues.